Here you'll find the Theory of Knowledge Essay prescribed titles for the May 2023 session.
The video analysis of these titles is also available already in the member's area.--which you can watch using a free trial! (Just click the "subscribe" tab at the top of this page. Once you're signed up and signed in, the video link will work for you). You'll also find helpful discussions in our community area and lots of other help inside IBMastery, with topics and ideas to consider for each title, some tips for the new rubric and helpful advice for each title.
1. Is replicability necessary in the production of knowledge? Discuss with reference to two areas of knowledge.
2. For artists and natural scientists, which is more important: what can be explained or what cannot be explained? Discuss with reference to the arts and the natural sciences.
3. Does it matter if our acquisition of knowledge happens in “bubbles” where some information and voices are excluded? Discuss with reference to two areas of knowledge.
4. Do you agree that it is “astonishing that so little knowledge can give us so much power” (Bertrand Russell)? Discuss with reference to the natural sciences and one other area of knowledge.
5. Are visual representations always helpful in the communication of knowledge? Discuss with reference to the human sciences and mathematics.
6. To what extent is the knowledge we produce determined by the methodologies we use? Discuss with reference to history and one other area of knowledge.
Tim is available for private tutoring, almost every day, to support you in writing your best TOK Essay. He's an expert Theory of Knowledge teacher (a fully IB-trained teacher and marker) with over 18 years of teaching experience. 🚀 Click here to meet with Tim on Zoom and talk through your work. 🚀
Tim also helps students with IB Business Management, IB Global Politics, IB Economics, IB History, IB English and College Admissions essays.