Here are the Theory of Knowledge Essay prescribed titles for the November 2022 session.
The video analysis of these titles is already available in the member's area (here) and there are already discussions posted in our community area. So you'll find lots of help inside IBMastery, with topics and ideas to consider for each title, some tips for the new rubric and helpful advice for each title.
1. Within an area of knowledge is it more important to have credibility or power? Discuss with reference to the natural sciences and one other area of knowledge.
2. If pushed too far, can open-mindedness itself become restrictive? Discuss with reference to two areas of knowledge.
3. Is it better to “have questions that can’t be answered than answers that can’t be questioned” (adapted from Richard Feynman)? Discuss with reference to mathematics and one other area of knowledge.
4. Why do we seek indisputable evidence when it is so often unattainable? Discuss with reference to two areas of knowledge.
5. To what extent do you agree with the directive to “measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so” (Galileo Galilei)? Answer with reference to the human sciences and one other area of knowledge.
6. If the artist has freedom to interpret past events in ways that are denied to the historian, is this an asset or an obstacle to our understanding of the past? Discuss with reference to the arts and history.
(Do use the official version of the titles your teacher gives you for your final essay, as there is some extra information on there that you'll need to know).
Tim is available for private tutoring, to support you in writing your best TOK Essay. He's an expert TOK teacher (teacher trainer, etc) with over 18 years of experience. Click here to meet with Tim on Zoom. You'll be glad you did.