Here you'll find the Theory of Knowledge Essay prescribed titles for the November 2023 session.
The video analysis of these titles is also available already in the member's area.--which you can watch using a free trial. (Just click the "subscribe" tab at the top of this page. Once you're signed up and signed in, the video link will work for you). You can also find our entirely new TOK Essay Video Course (11 helpful videos) here.
1. Are facts alone enough to prove a claim? Discuss with reference to any two areas of knowledge.
2. If “the mathematician’s patterns, like the painter’s and the poet’s, must be beautiful” (G.H. Hardy), how might this impact the production of knowledge? Discuss with reference to mathematics and the arts.
3. In the acquisition of knowledge, is following experts unquestioningly as dangerous as ignoring them completely? Discuss with reference to the human sciences and one other area of knowledge.
4. Is it problematic that knowledge is so often shaped by the values of those who produce it? Discuss with reference to any two areas of knowledge.
5. Is it always the case that “the world isn’t just the way I is, it is how we understand it – and in understanding something, we bring something to it” (adapted from Life of Pi by Yann Martel)? Discuss with reference to history and the natural sciences.
6. Faced with a vast amount of information, how do we select what is significant for the acquisition of knowledge? Discuss with reference to the natural sciences and one other area of knowledge.
Tim is available for private tutoring, almost every day, to support you in writing your best TOK Essay. He's an expert Theory of Knowledge teacher (a fully IB-trained teacher and marker) with over 20 years of teaching experience. 🚀 Click here to meet with Tim on Zoom and talk through your work. 🚀
Tim also helps students with IB Business Management, IB Global Politics, IB Economics, IB History, IB English and College Admissions essays.
Artist Credit: Clement Mmaduako Nwafor